Are you interested in hosting your own ARK: Survival Evolved server, but not sure where to start? In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about setting up a dedicated server for ARK: Survival Evolved, including the advantages of using a dedicated server, the requirements for hosting a server, and a step-by-step guide on how to set one up.
Advantages of Using a Dedicated Server
There are several advantages to using a dedicated server for ARK: Survival Evolved:
- Improved Performance: Dedicated servers typically have better hardware and faster internet connections than a home computer, which can result in a smoother and more lag-free gameplay experience for players.
- Customization: With a dedicated server, you have complete control over the game settings and can customize them to your liking. This includes things like the game difficulty, the rate at which experience is earned, and the availability of certain in-game items.
- Larger Player Capacity: Dedicated servers can host more players than a home computer, so you can invite more friends to join your game.
- Reliability: Dedicated servers are less prone to crashes and other issues that can disrupt gameplay.
Requirements for Hosting a Server
Before setting up a dedicated server for ARK: Survival Evolved, there are a few requirements that you need to meet:
- A dedicated computer: It’s recommended to use a dedicated computer for hosting a server, as the server will be running constantly and will require a significant amount of resources.
- A stable internet connection: A stable and fast internet connection is essential for hosting a server, as it will be used to connect players to the server.
- The ARK: Survival Evolved server software: You will need to purchase the ARK: Survival Evolved server software in order to host a server.
Step-by-Step Guide to Setting Up a Dedicated Server
Setting up a dedicated server for ARK: Survival Evolved is a relatively straightforward process that can be done in a few steps:
- First, you will need to purchase the ARK: Survival Evolved server software from Steam.
- Next, you will need to install the server software on your dedicated computer and configure the server settings to your liking. This includes things like player capacity, game difficulty, and in-game options.
- After configuring the server settings, you will need to open the necessary ports on your router to allow players to connect to your server. You can find a list of the ports that need to be opened in the ARK: Survival Evolved documentation.
- Finally, you can start your server and invite your friends to join by providing them with the server’s IP address and port number.
Tips for Maintaining and Optimizing Your Dedicated Server
Once you have your dedicated server set up, there are a few things you can do to ensure that it runs smoothly and provides the best possible gameplay experience for your players:
- Keep your server software and game up to date: It’s important to keep your server software and game up to date to ensure that you are taking advantage of the latest features and performance improvements.
- Monitor your server’s performance: Keep an eye on your server’s CPU, memory, and network usage to ensure that it is running smoothly and is not being overloaded.
- Use the correct settings: Set the correct game settings for your server, such as the player capacity and experience rate.
- Restart your server regularly: Restarting your server regularly can help prevent issues and improve performance.
In conclusion, dedicated servers for ARK: Survival Evolved offers improved performance, customization, larger player capacity, and reliability compared to hosting a game on a home computer. Setting up a dedicated server requires a dedicated computer, a stable internet connection, and the ARK: Survival Evolved server software and can be done by installing the server software, configuring the server settings, opening the necessary ports on your router, and inviting your friends to join. To maintain and optimize your dedicated server, it is important to keep your server software and game up to date, monitor your server’s performance, use the correct settings, and restart your server regularly. With a dedicated server, you can host a stable and customized ARK: Survival Evolved game for you and your friends to enjoy.