When you’re starting up a business, the last thing you want to have is downtime! If your software slows down, if you don’t have enough bandwidth, if your server crashes – these things can be disastrous for your business. While smaller businesses might not be able to afford a dedicated server out of the gate, they might find that there’s no other choice.
Why Does My Small Business Need a Dedicated Server?
A dedicated server is a great solution for businesses that need more online storage and bandwidth or need to run specific applications that don’t fit on a shared server. Here are some reasons why even the smallest business should consider investing in a dedicated server:
- More Storage and Bandwidth: A dedicated server offers a greater amount of storage and bandwidth than a shared server. This means you can store more files and run more applications without experiencing lag or slowdown.
- Specific Applications: If your business needs to run a specific application that doesn’t fit on a shared server, a dedicated server is a perfect solution. For example, if you work in the medical field and need to run specialized software, a dedicated server is the best option for you.
- Reliability: Dedicated servers are always reliable and keep your business running smoothly even during times of peak traffic. Plus, they’re typically easier to maintain than shared servers, which means less time wasted on repairs and updates.
- Cost Savings: Investing in a dedicated server means you’ll save money in the long run due to its reliability and cost-effective upgrades. Plus, with less hardware required, your business will be able to save on hardware costs.
What Services do a Dedicated Server Offer?
Dedicated server hosting offers businesses a number of advantages. First, it can offer better performance than shared hosting. Second, it can provide a dedicated IP address, which is important for businesses that need to protect their proprietary information. Third, dedicated servers are more secure than shared servers, because they do not have access to the general server resources. Fourth, dedicated servers can be more expensive than shared servers, but they may be worth the investment if a business needs the best possible performance and security.
Avoiding the DDoS Attack
Businesses of all sizes need to be aware of the dangers associated with a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack. These attacks can be costly and time-consuming, and can severely disrupt operations. Here are five tips to help your business avoid becoming a victim of a DDoS attack.
- Keep tabs on your network security. Regularly monitor your network traffic for signs of abnormal activity, and take appropriate action if you detect any suspicious behavior. This includes monitoring traffic for known malicious IP addresses, scanning for malware, and watching for unusual network activity.
- Establish an emergency response plan. If your business is hit with a DDoS attack, have a plan in place for responding quickly and efficiently. This could include setting up backup systems, contacting customer service representatives, and activating disaster recovery plans.
- Make sure your bandwidth is sufficient. Your business may not need the same level of bandwidth as a website hosting company or a large corporate office, but make sure you have enough capacity to handle peak traffic levels. If you suspect that you’re experiencing a DDoS attack, test your bandwidth capacity first to ensure that you can handle the load without affecting normal operations.
Pros and Cons of Hosting With a Dedicated Server
A dedicated server is a great option for businesses of all sizes. Here are some pros and cons to consider before making the switch.
- Greater flexibility – A dedicated server gives you more control over your data and website. You can choose which software to use, how much memory and storage space to allocate, and even what network ports to open. This level of flexibility is especially important for small businesses that want to tailor their site to their specific needs.
- Increased security – A dedicated server is more secure than a shared host because it’s not shared with other websites or applications. You can also install custom security measures, such as firewall software, to increase your protection against online threats.
- More powerful servers – Dedicated servers typically come equipped with more powerful processors and RAM memory than shared hosts. This means your website will run faster and smoother, making it easier for you to capture leads and convert visitors into customers.
- Lower costs – Dedicated servers usually cost less than shared hosts, which makes them a good option for businesses that need a lot of space and bandwidth (such as e-commerce sites).
- Increased workload – Dedicated servers require a higher workload than shared hosts. If you want to run multiple websites, you’ll need more servers; if you don’t, you’ll still be paying for the same space and bandwidth as on a shared host.
- Limited resources – You can only run two or four websites on one dedicated server, which makes it difficult to handle large amounts of traffic. When your site gets busy, traffic will have to be routed through a limited number of servers, which can slow down performance and make it more difficult for visitors to find what they’re looking for.
- Unattended incidents – Dedicated servers are usually offline during maintenance periods, increasing your chances of downtime due to outages or crashes in your hosting environment.
With the rise of cloud-based services and the decreasing cost of hardware, there has never been a better time to start or expand a small business. However, this doesn’t mean that your business doesn’t need its own dedicated server. In fact, having your own dedicated server can make a big difference in the performance and scalability of your business. Not only will you be able to handle more traffic without experiencing any latency problems, but you will also be able to optimize your website for higher search engine rankings and increased traffic conversion rates. If dedicating a server to your small business is something that you are considering, I encourage you to take the first step by contacting our team at InfoTech Solutions Incorporated today! Buy dedicated server from our recommended provider.